As predicted, I finished and blocked these the other night:
And a good thing, too, because apparently this is continuing to be the Year Of Yarn Supply Surprises. Just when we thought it was safe to go into the water…? Just when we were all set to go full steam ahead with #3, the Frozen Margarita? Well, there was some kind of screw up with the (say it with me) base yarn supply, and where we had thought we were looking at guaranteed availability of the required amount of undyed Panda Cotton for the full production run…? suddenly it turns out we’re not. Very much not. And won’t be for some weeks. So we’re doing a quick re-group and shifting into full-steam-ahead mode for York and Lancaster instead, and the Frozen Margarita will become a late summer knit instead of a high summer knit. (I’ll be working on both patterns simultaneously, so that as soon as we do get the Panda Cotton we’ll be able to shoot them out in relatively quick succession - but I have to admit I wouldn’t mind very much if one of these days there weren’t quite so many punches to be rolled with.)
Note to self: post and send out Official announcement to this effect.
So all in all I have good reason to be glad that I’ve just had a refresher on this design!
Mind you, the patterning on the mitts is only a subset of the design for the sock. But the shifting of mental gears still applies. And I’m pretty happy with the mitts themselves on their merits.
The overall design is very simple - garter stitch edges, side “seams,” nothing fancy in the gusset shaping - and the fit quite snug but not at all constricting.
I really like the funny little double line of double decreases shaping the thumb -
- and though it’s nothing out of the ordinary I am happy with the shaping and placement of the gusset -
- and I’m ridiculously fond of this ringlet stitch edge…
… which I think gives it a nice tailored feel. You’ve seen this stitch before; you’ll see it again.
And yeah, I’m perversely pleased with the asymmetrical placement of the roses. Me all over.
I’m pleased with something else, too, and I very seriously deserve to be:
Check it out. I have spun laceweight.
Obligatory penny shot:
Oh - it’s not cobwebweight (actually… OK, busted, it’s not true laceweight either - it’s about 24 WPI); it’s not perfectly fine and even, blah blah blah. But seriously - this is the first yarn I’ve spun that I would actually really want to knit with, and it’s only the third finished yarn I’ve spun EVER, and it’s soft and pretty, pretty fine and pretty even, not over- or underspun, not over- or underplied. So yeah, I’m pleased.
There’s 57 yards of 2-ply here, made from the incredibly generous sample Mardi gave me of her “Castille” Merino/Mohair (I see how it goes… now I’m going to have to order some, aren’t I, because just LOOK at the subtle lovely colors, and what am I going to make out of 57 yards?) - spun and plied on the half-ounce resin spindle from ButterflyGirl.
I love it truly and deeply.
And the other reason I’m pleased - the reason I said I seriously deserved to be?
This little project wasn’t all beer and spindles. The spinning was - it was easy and smooth and enthralling. But the plying became a heartstopping lesson in what it feels like When Very Bad Things Happen to Very Good Spinning.
I had wound off the two cops of singles into two little center-pull balls. I thought. I was wrong. Turned out I had wound one little center-pull ball and one huge disastrously kinkified MESS.
No, I did not take pictures. I thought about it. I really did. But where my stomach was strong enough - just - for the hours of agonizing painstaking remedial desnarling… it was not strong enough to entertain the notion of taking, or wanting to keep, photographic evidence. Not until after the nightmare was over. I ended up with four separate chunks of salvaged singles, wound in increments onto a strange assortment of mini-bobbins, and I got them onto the spindle and pieced them together, then wound the whole thing off onto one of the bobbins of my lazy-kate and plied from there. (Which I think is what I will ALWAYS do from here on out with the finer singles - mind you the other center-pull ball worked without a hitch, but after what I went through last night I no longer consider that a good gamble.) And miraculously came out within a yard of being perfectly even.
And then AFTER the yarn was safely plied and skeined and soaked and whapped and blocking… THEN I took a picture of the remaining bit of the Horror, the few yards that I couldn’t salvage for the life of me.
Be glad that’s all you get to see of the carnage. Be very, very glad.
And do admit: I seriously deserve to be pleased - very, very pleased - with the yarn.